James Coates, Commander
Detachment of New York
2018 - 2019
Jim is a twenty year Member of Francis M. Dalton Squadron 282, Lima, Livingston County, NY. Now semi-retired, Jim spent the majority of his career developing and maintaining quality management systems for the companies that he worked for. Jim is married to his wonderful wife Cathy since 2013. Jim has three children, all members of the American Legion Family, a stepdaughter and six grandchildren of which Emma, Lydia, James and Ethan are also members of the American Legion Family.
Jim’s eligibility is through his father, Michael F. Coates, who served honorably during the Korean War. After being drafted and entering the Army in early March 1951 Mike attended medical school in Osaka, Japan and then joined the 27th Medical Company of the 25th Infantry Division and became part of the 27th “Wolfhound” Regiment. Mike was a medic with B Company.
Jim's has been in Leadership roles as a member of the Sons of The American Legion starting as Squadron Adjutant from 1998-2002, and then in 2002 advancing to Squadron Commander. In 2004 Jim became the Chaplain for District 7, advancing to Vice Commander from Livingston County in 2005 and finally District Commander from 2007 to 2009. He then took on the role of Detachment Chaplain from 2009 to 2013, Public Relations Chairman from 2013 to 2015, and Detachment Vice Commander for Districts 7 and 8 from 2015 to 2017. His accomplishments have been many, including but not limited to the following:
- Twice recognized by The American Legion’s National Americanism Commission for outstanding service to The American Legion’s education program.
- 2013 graduate of the Department of New York American Legion College.
- Awarded in 2013 the Bill Harvey Community Service Award by the Francis M. Dalton Post #282 American Legion.
- Past editor of the Sons of The American Legion, Detachment of New York newsletter, “The Liberty”.
- Graduate of the National Management Institute Training program.
- Jim has also worked on the committee of the Seventh District Sons of The American Legion’s Flag Education and Retirement Ceremony for the past sixteen years.
Jim and Cathy live in Honeoye Falls, NY, and is anxious to meet and work with Sons of The American Legion members across the State, as his term continues through the year.
The Commander's Project:
- You may present your check directly to Commander Coates when he visits your County, or you may wish to mail your contribution to:
SONS OF THE AMERICAN LEGION DETACHMENT OF NY
112 STATE ST., SUITE 1300
ALBANY, NY 12207
Make Checks Payable to:
Sons of The American Legion Detachment of New York
- Please denote which Project in the MEMO section of your check
- A Message from the Commander March 15, 2019
Email Click to send an email to Commander CoatesCommanders' Visitation Schedule (CLICK HERE)